Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Author To Author: Vicky Shecter

Hello Everybody!
Yes, I'm back! Whew, it's been a wild several months, tons of changes, growth and new beginnings. But, today it's all about Vicky. I am falling in love with her books and want you to know all about her and her amazing writing. As a historical fiction writer she's incredible and her treatment of myth for middle grade and young adult is edgy and full of facts that compliment any educator's unit on ancient history. 

1) Tell us a little bit about yourself and how you became a writer.

I always wrote for a living--marketing and public relations in the business world--but I didn't start writing for kids until I reconnected with my childhood passion for ancient history. My first book, Alexander the Great Rocks the World, came out in 2006.

Today, I channel that love into books about mythology for middle-graders and historical fiction about the ancient world for young adults. I'm also a docent at the Carlos Museum of Antiquities at Emory University which keeps me connected personally and professionally to sources for my research.


2) What was the inspiration for the series Secrets of the Ancient Gods?

I had written a book about Egyptian mythology and could not sell it. However, the editor fell in love with the voice of Anubis, who narrated the anthology of stories. Twice he came back to me asking me to find some way to use that snarky voice in a book for him and I finally hit on making Anubis into a tour guide of the afterworld. Hades followed. Having gods tell their own myths turned into a fun way to impart a whole lot of history and legend.

3) Tell us about your process.

I have two very different processes for the books I write. For non-fiction/mythology, I read as many sources as possible and then develop a voice for the narrating "god" based on the details I discovered. For my young adult novels, I also do a lot of research, but have to create scenes out of the blue, which leaves me staring out the window quite often!

4) What does a typical writing day look like?

I don't really have a typical writing day because some days are more consumed with research and others are driven by getting thoughts and ideas down. It really depends on what deadline is coming up!

5) Where is your favorite place to write?

I usually sit on the couch with one of my cats leaning on me.


6) What did or do you find most challenging in creating the story and getting it published? What do you wish you would have known?
The most challenging thing is to not give up. If you love what you are writing about, that's going to shine through eventually. I do wish someone had told me just how sllllloooowwww everything moves in publishing. So much of it is, "Hurry up and wait."

7) What is the best writing advice you have ever received?

I have a sticky note above my desk with this Ernest Gaines quote: "Write with fire. Edit with ice." So true!

8) Are you working on a new project? Can you tell us about it?

Right now we are putting the finishing touches on THOR SPEAKS! which comes out this fall. I'm also working on another young adult novel set in the ancient Rome.

9) What advice would you give others that write for children?

Find what fires your passion and pour that into your writing. And, more importantly, do not give up! It's a long process and you've got to keep submitting.

10) Tell us about the most interesting job you've ever had. The hardest?

Interesting: I once worked as a cocktail waitress at a bowling alley bar (!). The hardest: Being a mom. No contest!



Thanks so much for stopping by Vicky! Watch for my review of Cleopatra's Moon. Just finished it and let's just say coming back to the modern world is difficult. I loved it! 

Book Blurb: Selene grew up in a palace on the Nile under parents Cleopatra and Mark Antony - the most brilliant, powerful rulers on earth. But when a cruel Roman Emperor takes the country and whisks the princess to Rome against her will. She finds herself torn between two young men and two possible destinies - until she reaches out to claim her own.

2 comments:

  1. Great to meet Vicky! I'm a major fan of ancient history, and love when such themes are included in children's literature. The fire and ice quote really gets me. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview. Thanks for this post. Very interesting.The books sounds great.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...