Monday, February 28, 2011

Update: Why Letting Go Is Difficult...


      When you climb the incline on a rickety wood coaster there is a moment right before the drop that you think, "What the hell was I thinking?".  At the moment your first real labor pain grabs your abdomen for a split second you think, "What have I done?." and if your the father watching that first moment when a life begins you shake your head and think, "Now what do I do?"  

     These are ego moments. A pause in the experience where we question our ability to get to the next step. Getting beyond this moment requires a "letting go", an acceptance that deep down you have everything you need to carry you through.

    On the coaster we raise our hands and scream with delight, in labor we push with all our might and marvel at our bodies ability to do what it needs to,  as a parent we stare into the eyes of our newborn and trust that we will know what is best. The difficulty is real, we want to know what happens next, we want to know what to expect, we want to know if we made the right choice. 

     We like to think of our lives as arrivals and departures, but in reality those are of little consequence it's the journey in between when all the magic happens, the creativity begins.

    Deepak Chopra has three statements that encompass the "letting go" required to truly discover the soul--the true you:

                     I understand things in a new way.
                     I greet each day with fresh energy.
                     My life feels more whole. 
                                     (See Reinventing the Body, Resurrecting the Soul by Deepak Chopra)


                                                            
      If I can't connect with one of these statements I know I'm not tuned in. This month I have been working on achieving this tuned in state. It's been challenging (I suck at meditation) but ultimately rewarding.

How do the statements above make you feel?

How do you "let go"?
  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...