Thursday, January 2, 2014

Making The New Year Happy

It's common this time of year to assess where we are and where we want to go. Resolutions like losing weight, eating healthy, exercising, watching less TV are all common ideas and great things to incorporate into our lives. But, how often do we think about making this next year happy?

Fife Schools Website

Usually, we view happiness as something at the end of a long struggle. In America our protestant heritage often tells us that happiness is the result of doing without, sacrificing and suffering. Today, I will argue that happiness comes from a more intrinsic place. It doesn't exist as something outside of ourselves but it's source is deep within us. It is the essence of who we are.

Before you click off thinking I'm talking about positive thinking, pause, take a breath and stick with me for a few short paragraphs.

I'm not saying it's easy or obvious. And for some of us it may take a little work. It will require stopping our busy lives for a moment and think about what makes us happy. Once we figure out what those things are, then we make sure that this year we do more of them. No adding new routines, no keeping up with the Jones' or creating an endless list of how we don't measure up.

This week I'll be working on that list. I'll be thinking about what brings me the most joy and I will be doing more of those things. It's important to point out that the joy and happiness I'm talking about isn't fleeting, doesn't wear off or run out. This is the kind of happiness that when you wake up the next day it still feels wonderful and regret free.

I love to read, write and walk and I always feel joy when I'm doing them.  I plan on doing more of them each day. Simple equation: Doing more things that give me joy = HAPPINESS.

What are you going to do more of this year??

I'm heading outside for a walk...

1 comment:

  1. This brought to mind a documentary my daughter turned me onto recently. It is called "Happy" and is absolutely fascinating. I recommend it. I found it on Netflix Streaming.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...