Friday, June 25, 2010

It's Not So Simple

This morning was the first morning that I didn't have to be somewhere, put on my make up, or do anything for that matter. Sounds great, right? Wrong! When you have spent the first half of your life, making sure everyone has something to eat, driving like a bat out of hell to get to work on time, meeting deadlines, helping this person, making sure this or that gets done, a day with nothingness is incredibly difficult.

The Goal:  Do nothing all day, relax, maybe read, take a nap, nothing. 

I started out watching the World Cup, no really, I actually sat without a book, or project in my hand and watched the game. There were a few times I got up and had to remind myself that I didn't need to fold those clothes. I have since watched many of the games and I am thrilled that the US will be in the finals! Go Donovan!

The day was blissfully bright  with a slight breeze. Next task, sit on my deck and read, no weeding, no watering, so sweeping, wiping down chairs, etc. READ! This was agony. I would read a page, get up and then before I knew it I was planning my next project, starting to make a list (one of my favorite), or simply reminding myself about a bill to pay or phone call to make.

I began wondering if I was ever a teenager. Did I ever sit and day dream? Yes, I must have because I have old report cards that say, "Pleasure to have in class, day dreams too much". Mm mm, where did this person disappear to?

By the end of the day, I had finally figured out how to breath deeply and some of the knots in my stomach and neck started to release. It is clear however, that I am going to need to hone in on that thing called relaxing if I plan to rid myself of the stress that my doctor says has set up camp in my neck and shoulders and around my waist.

Who knew that doing nothing could be so hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...